Saturday, April 11, 2015

The Quest: Part III

After the banker orders full repayment by the third day, Makos' and Danos' father is desperate. Mere minutes after the banker departs, a mysterious man comes by with a suspicious offer to help them in their crisis.

"Help me?" Denan asked.

"Help you!" The voice replied. "You do need help, don't you?"

"Ah..." Denan began.

"Of course you need help." The voice elaborated. "We all need help sometimes."

"I-"

"A lost dog found."

"Well-"

"A broken heart mended."

"Actually-"

Makos could hear his father trying to get a word in, but we was interrupted each time by the mysterious stranger who didn't sound like he much cared for multi-directional conversation.  "But you!" The man shouted, startling the brothers, who bonked their heads together. "You. You don't need frivolous things. You need money."

Denan let out his held breath, then asked, "Who, exactly, are you?"

Makos could almost hear the stranger's smile stretch to his ears. "I! I am the clockmaker." Silence followed in which Makos could imagine him standing tall, chest puffed out, thumbs hooked behind suspenders and head pivoted at just the right angle for admiration. His scraggly-bearded, crooked-spined concept for the man made the image hilarious.

"You... make clocks?" Denan asked.

"No no!" The clockmaker replied. "I make deals. The clocks make themselves."

Makos looked at Danos, who looked back with an 'I don't have a clue. He must be crazy.' kind of face.

The man continued. "I have a deal for you, Mr. Whistle."

"Highwhistle." Denan corrected.

"Yes, right. I have a deal that will solve your problem." The clockmaker said smoothly.

"What kind of deal?" Denan asked.

The clockmaker answered with traces of a chuckle in his voice. "I will see to it your debt is resolved. In exchange, you do me a favor."

"What kind of favor?"

"Nothing much." The clockmaker explained. "I have a collection I'd like you to look at. I very much love to show off my collection, and it would be worth paying off a measly loan to have your opinion."

A moment of silence later, Denan asked, "I don't know how you found out about my loan, but do you even realize how much it is? Did the banker send you? Is this some kind of joke?"

"No joke." The voice said darkly. "This is an opportunity you will only receive once. Take it now or say goodbye to your only chance of avoiding prison. And trust me, I can afford it."

Denan finally responded. "Fine. I will look at your collection, then." He didn't sound too convinced to Makos.

"Great! But first, I must uphold my end of the deal." Makos heard a loud clunk hit the floor. "Three thousand silver pieces, exactly your debt."


Denan gasped. Makos wanted so badly to peek out the door to see this strange man and his bag of money, but he worried what Danos would say if he tried.

"I can't believe it..." Denan's voice trailed off.

"Believe it." The clockmaker said. "Now, for your end of the bargain." Makos heard the front door swing open. "This way, if you would."

Footsteps thudded on the front porch. The boys glanced at each other, then both of them climbed off the bed and peered out the window. The sun had gone down completely, leaving no trace of daylight, but the moon was out and shining enough for them to make out several shapes spread out across the front yard.

"What are those?" Makos asked.

"I don't know. It looks like they all have glass on one side, though." Danos answered. "I guess it would be best if we made certain." He hesitated a moment, then moved to the door and whispered. "Come on. It wouldn't hurt if we took a closer look, right?"

"Yeah." Makos agreed.

They left their room and Makos began to head for the front door. Danos stopped him, whispering, "The side door."

He led the way back around the stairs. He slowly opened the door and stopped it just before it could creak on its hinges, then motioned Makos through. Once both were outside and the door was closed again, the boys slowly walked around to the front yard, making sure to crouch down low.

Makos had to suppress several laughs as the long grass ran between his toes. Eventually Danos slowed to a stop and held out his arm in front of Makos, then pointed at the open field in front of their house.

Makos couldn't see his father, or anyone else, but there were several tall shapes looming in the darkness. He shivered, blaming it on the cold night air to himself, then followed his brother who moved closer to one of the objects.

Continued tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment