Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Continuing the Story

Continued...

Danos shook his head and leaned forward to make certain of what he was seeing. There, not three feet away from him, stood a man no taller than four inches. He was dressed like a gentleman, with nice slacks, a white shirt with a darkly colored bow tie, and shiny shoes. He also wore a fancy, pinstriped jacket.

His head was covered in curly hair of various shades of gray, receding at the sides. Danos had to squint to make out the gold belt buckle made of braided metal bands. He also thought he recognized a pocket watch chain stretching from a button hole in his shirt to his left pants pocket.

The diminutive gentleman squinted back up at Danos. "Not big on personal space, are you?"

"Personal space?" Danos asked. "You can't even reach me."

"As I recall, one's stature and wingspan have nothing to do with it." He frowned harshly until Danos took a long step backwards.

The man let out a relieved breath. "Better. Now, I believe you owe me an apology, son."

"Um. Sorry." Danos obliged.

"Um sorry is a poor excuse of an apology, but I'm in a bit of a good mood today, so it will do." He put his hand beside his mouth conspiratorially, then whispered loudly, "It's a holiday, you know?"

Danos nodded. "Rune Day."

"Well, yes, that." The man flipped his hand dismissively. "It is also the anniversary of my election."

"Congratulations." Danos said. "What were you elected for?"

The man folded his arms and stuck his nose up into the air. "Don't you recognize your own governor?"

"You?" Danos asked, marveling. "You're the governor?"

"You find it hard to believe?"

"Well," Danos replied, "I've seen the governor once before and you aren't exactly the same."

"You are referring to my height, yes?" The governor supplied.

"Yeah." Danos nodded. "That, and you don't have a hat."

"And therein lies the problem." The governor said, shoulders slumping. "I was searching everywhere to find my hat after it blew away in a rather strong gust of wind. You see, the hat is special."

"Special how?" Danos asked.

The governor grinned at him. "Would you believe its magical?"

Danos laughed, bringing a frown to the tiny official's face. "I wasn't laughing at you. It's just what you said. This isn't the only case of magic I've seen since yesterday."

"Oh, really?" He asked in a curious tone.

"Let's just say I believe you." Danos said.

"Well alright." The governor raised a tiny arm and beckoned him closer. Danos stooped down and moved his ear closer.

The governor quietly said, "When I wear my hat, I can change size at will."

"Wow." Danos said. "So you can become large again?"

"I could have, at least until I lost it." He said as his shoulders drooped inwards.

"Ah. Right."

"Yes." The governor continued, perking up and glaring back up at Danos. "I could have found it by now, but someone decided to frighten my domesticated rodent. I suspect I won't ever find poor Quicksilver again."

Continued tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment