Thursday, April 16, 2015

Mixing things up!

Do you ever get bored with a project you are working on? Does it ever lose its excitement? What do you do when that happens?

I definitely have wanted to drop projects before, and done so. The problem with this is that we gain experience by going through the process. If all I ever did was write through acts one and two, then lost steam at act three, I would never learn how to write that third act, how to wrap things up.

This story is getting kind of boring for me, but I don't want to quit. I really want to gain the understanding, so I need to finish it. What's my solution? Either I can drop the project and miss out, or I can mess around and make it fun again. Maybe I will end up destroying the entire story by being too crazy, but why bother writing if I never finish anything?

Let's get crazy!

What are my plans? To answer that, I need to establish what I already have that I like. Alright, then what do I like so far?

I really enjoy the idea of turning people into clocks based on their memories and desires. Its not that exactly that catches my interest. Its more the fantastical magic of it derived from features of the mundane person. What if I had that same principle applied to a lot more scenarios?

My solution, then, is to introduce the emergence of magic in everything and everyone in this world. It is just beginning, but eventually, everyone will be affected. The brothers still have the goal to turn their father back to normal, but they will find the means by delving into their developing abilities that are based off of their traits.

"No thanks." Danos said, stepping back slowly. "Whatever's inside it is what turned him into a clock, isn't it?"

"Oh, but I insist. Here, let me just open this door and you can see for yourself." The old man grabbed the handle and began to pull it open.

Makos couldn't stand it. For all he knew, something inside that cupboard was about to turn his brother into a clock, too. As the door began to swing open, Makos acted on instinct, flinging his hand in front of the old man as he let out a cry of frustration.

Waves of rippling energy flew from Makos' arm. He was stunned as the air shifted and undulated, crawling through the air toward the clockmaker. As the fast-moving waves collided with the old man, they folded around him like a rubber band, pushing his arms to his sides between the rings of waves.

"What the...?" The old man managed to say before the compounding ripples snapped back into straight lines. The waves threw the old man so hard, he flew over the horizon and out of sight in a few seconds.

Makos stood with his arm up and to the side. His mouth hung open as wide as it could go. Danos' shared his expression, looking in the same direction.

"What...?" Makos began.

"...did you do?" Danos finished.

Both looked at Makos' hand, which he pulled in close to his face for immediate inspection. Neither noticed anything different about it. Just a normal hand attached to a normal boy who had done something so abnormal, it was impossible.

OK, folks. Time for some application of yesterday's lesson. I am going to go back and apply some more immersion elements. I'll highlight the parts I change or add.

"No thanks." Danos said, stepping back slowly. "Whatever's inside it is what turned him into a clock, isn't it?"

"Oh, but I insist. Here, let me just open this door and you can see for yourself." The old man grabbed the brass handle and began to pull it open.

Makos' heart began to thump wildly. For all he knew, something inside that tall cupboard was about to turn his brother into a dusty, old, grandfather clock, too. As the door began to squeak open, Makos acted on instinct, flinging his hand in front of the old man as he let out a cry of frustration.

Waves of rippling energy flew from Makos' arm. He was stunned as the air shifted and undulated, turning the color of the air an emerald green while it passed. The waves crawled through the empty air toward the clockmaker, who stopped opening the door once the green ripples stole his attention. As the rapidly pulsing waves collided with the old man, they folded around him tightly like a series of thick rubber bands, pushing his arms to his sides between the rings of waves.

"What the...?" The old man managed to pronounce before the compounding ripples snapped right back into straight lines. The waves tossed the old man so hard, he flew over the horizon and out of sight in a matter of five seconds.

Makos stood with his arm extending to the side. His mouth hung open as wide as it could go. Danos' shared his expression, staring in the same direction.

"What...?" Makos began.

"...did you do?" Danos finished.

Both looked at Makos' extended hand, which he pulled in close to his face for further scrutiny. Neither noticed anything different about it. Just a normal hand attached to a normal boy who had done something so abnormal, it was impossible.

Continued tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment