Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Interview #1

I feel like I need to flesh out my characters a bit more. Discovering them as I go is fun, but in order to get a feel for where they need to grow, I am going to do an interview with my characters that will reveal more about what matters to them and what are their weakness and strengths.

Interviewing Makos:

Q. What's your full name?

A. Makos Rendridge Highwhistle.

Q. How old are you?

A. I'm nine.

Q. What do you want to do when you grow up?

A. I'm going to tame dragons.

Q. Aren't dragons make-believe?

A. Yeah.

Q. Ok. Well, suppose you did something else. What would it be?

A. I want to find treasure.

Q. Like a pirate's treasure?

A. Yeah. Also treasure left behind by ancient civilizations.

Q. How are you going to find this treasure?

A. Well, I just have to tame a big enough dragon. Then I could name him 'Treasure Sniffer' or maybe 'Gold Scales.' We would fly around searching for it until he could smell it.

Q. Hmm. Sounds like you've planned this out.

A. Yeah. I'm good at planning.

Q. What do you like to do for fun?

A. I climb on top of big boulders.

Q. You don't climb trees?

A. Everyone does that. Boulders are more of a challenge. There's no branches.

Q. What do you do on top of a boulder?

A. Throw rocks at bullies.

Q. You throw rocks at them? Isn't that a little harsh?

A. Not really. Think about it. Would you rather get hit by a rock or a squirrel?

Q. ... I don't know.

A. I'd rather get hit by a rock. A squirrel can give you fleas, plus they bite and are unpredictable. With a rock, at least you know what you are getting. Much more humane.

Q. Are there many bullies that bother you?

A. Not anymore. I have a large stockpile of rocks on my boulders. If I run out, all I have to do is jump to another boulder.

Q. What do you do if they climb up on the boulder, too?

A. They can't. It's too hard.

Q. What about you? How are you able to climb them?

A. Hold on. Let me take off my socks.

Q. ...

A. See? I have extra long toes thanks to my dragon blood. I can grip the boulder with my hands and feet.

Q. Ah. Of course.

A. I can also breath fire.

Q. Really? Would you mind demonstrating?

A. Nah. It hurts to much.

Q. I guess that makes sense.

A. Yeah.

Q. Let's see. What's your favorite memory?

A. I remember going to see the fireworks parade in Gund with my family. That was back when my mom was still alive. There were explosions everywhere in all kinds of colors. They even let me light one of the big rockets. It was gold and green and sounded like an eagle.

Q. Do you miss your mom?

A. ...

Q. I'm sorry. It must be hard talking about her still.

A. It's OK. I do miss her. I just don't want to think about it.

Q. Alright. How about this: What's the best dream you've ever had?

A. Well, I haven't had it yet. I'm still working out the details, but it's going to be really good.

Q. You are designing your dream?

A. Of course.

Q. Hmm. What is it going to be about?

A. I don't want to spoil it, yet, but it will have a lot of dragons and treasure.

Q. I see.

A. It's going to be really good, though.

Q. What are you afraid of?

A. Nothing.

Q. Don't you get scared when it's dark?

A. Sure, but I don't let it bother me.

Q. So you feel fear, but you dismiss it?

A. No, I throw rocks at it if it makes noises. I have a lot of rocks under my pillow.

Q. Don't you get in trouble for throwing rocks in the house?

A. If it wakes Danos up, I just pretend to be asleep. He always thinks it was his nightmares or something and falls back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment