Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Magic Hat

"You'll see an archway up ahead." The governor explained. "Take a left at the alley right before it. I hid my belongings in a barrel behind the pub."

Danos nodded, then considered something, which he spoke. "Your hat is what gives you the power to change your size?"

"That's right." The little man answered.

"I'm curious," Danos continued, "Why didn't you take the hat along with you?"

A quiet sigh preceded some grumbling which Danos could not make out.

"What was that?" He asked.

"You may think you're a rather smart fellow, and me an old fool," The governor replied, "But I am the one with the magic hat. Don't assume I fell into my fortune, undeserving of the power."

"I'm sorry." Danos said. "I didn't mean to insult you. I just don't understand. How did you come across the hat?"

"Now there's a story!" The governor exclaimed.

(OK, I am getting a little annoyed typing "the governor" all of the time to reference the miniscule politician, so I am making a note here to go back and have him introduce himself by name for simplicity's sake. From now on, I have another option of indication for him.)

Ahem.

"Now there's a story!" Weldun exclaimed. "It was just the other day when I was traveling to this fine town in my coach. I had peeked out of the window at just the right moment. You see, there was a merchant's wagon pulled off of the road. One of its wheels had broken and bent and I saw the poor man puzzling over it.

"Having had a similar incident happen to my own vehicle two months prior, I felt it my duty as governor to inform the man that it was no hope trying to repair a wheel in such poor shape. I told him he would be better off accompanying me the remaining twelve miles to town.

"He was more than happy to accept my invitation, and very grateful. He tried offering me money as a reward for kindness, but I thought he would be needing it more than I sooner or later, so I turned it down. As a gesture of his gratitude, he insisted I at least take his new hat.

'"It is a lucky hat.' He told me. 'If you ever find yourself in a bind, simply tug on the brim and you will find yourself out of it.'

"I thought him insane, of course, but didn't want to offend him, so I took the hat." Weldun paused and Danos looked down at him, noticing a smile creeping across his face.

"What happened next?" Danos asked.

"Next," The governor answered, "I dropped him off in town at the wainwright's shop and made sure he had a horse to bring him back swiftly to his merchandise. Little did I know that the very hat he had given me would save my life that same evening."

"Save your life?" Danos pressed. "What happened?"

"I was invited to dine at the home of the mayor." He explained. "While we were eating and discussing plans for the development of more efficient transportation in the area, a crash came from the window. The mayor strode out of the dining room and I could hear his voice conversing with another." Weldun peered up at Danos. He put a tiny hand to the side of his mouth and whispered loudly, eyes opened wide. "It was Fin Daller."

"Who's that?" Danos asked.

The governor folded his arms and frown. "You don't pay much attention to the news, do you, boy?"

Danos shook his head.

"Well perhaps you ought to." Weldun said, then nodded once and continued. "Fin Daller is the leader of one of the rival burglar gangs in the capitol city. A few weeks ago, word had gotten around that he was looking for a chance to greet me personally. It had something to do with my push for increased street patrols ruining his underground trading schemes.

"Either way, I heard him say he was planning to do me in." The governor shivered. "I didn't like the idea of that, and my mind was quickly employed in trying to come up with a means of escape. When I tried sneaking out of a window, I caught a glimpse of some thugs waiting in the back yard. Fin was approaching down the hallway and I knew I had to act, but had no idea what to do.

"In the last moments of my panic, I recalled the promise of the strange merchant about my hat. Desperate to try anything at that point, I grabbed my hat, put it on and yanked on the brim as hard as I could."

"You shrunk?" Danos asked.

"Did I ever." The governor said. "I quickly learned the nature of the magic of the hat. I also soon realized that the power is increased the harder you tug the brim." He laughed.

"How small did it make you?" Danos asked.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment